Participate in My Nonsense

Thursday, June 16, 2005

Darth Kirk

So, now I wear a mask when I sleep. It's really just a contraption that goes over my nose with straps to hold it in place. A mask can be defined as "A covering worn on the face to conceal one's identity". I'm clearly not hiding from somebody and, at the risk of getting too personal, I have never masqueraded in the bedroom. Just to make it simple for everyone we'll call it a mask. As for the machine, it's called a CPAP (pronounced SEE-pap). I prefer to give it some flare by pronouncing it ka-PAP!!

I can't tell you how many times over the last couple months I've heard people say after learning about my situation, "Hey, you'll kinda be like Darth Vader with that [insert lame DV breathing impression here] going on." I've heard that almost as many times as I've heard, "Hey, you kinda look like Tim Kirk with that bald head and gotee." I get it and it's not funny anymore. Lately, I've been responding with...

Yeah, instead of "Luke, I am your father," it's more like, "Hey, Baby, I am your Daddy... your Sugar Daddy." [insert DV breathing sounds]

That kind of creeps them out and they shut up.

In any case, it seems like it's working. I have a lot more energy since I'm actually getting more than 12 minutes of deep sleep each night and I'm a lot less of a turd towards people. More on this later. I have some thoughts floating around about control and perception of reality and other crap.

Regardless of what's happening with the Sleep Apnea and the Epstien-Barr I realize things could be a lot worse for me and there are people out there who are actually suffering daily. Even though I have to sleep with a mask everyday and the implications of the EBV, I know I don't have to worry about having weeks or months to live or whether I'm going to keep my food down today. This is a minor inconvenience compared to what ails other people. I hesitate to even write about this stuff because it really just is a pittance in the grand drama of life. However, it's my world, my face that has to be strapped into it for 6-8 hours a day, and my reality. But, you will probably never hear me mention it again unless something significant happens, which it won't.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home