Participate in My Nonsense

Wednesday, January 28, 2004

Reality Television

At first, I was kind of intrigued by the idea of reality tv shows when they actually resembled a slice of reality. Although I never was interested in or watched Survivor or any of the others, I was mildly interested in the concept. Then I became a little annoyed with them because it seems like every network had a unique idea about their own reality shows. Some of them were a little over the top but I respected their desire to be "in the now" and jump on the reality bandwagon. As long as they didn't interfere with CSI or Law and Order, I was fine with it.

Now I'm a little more than annoyed. They are becoming like guppies reproducing themselves as quickly as a marriage to Britney spears. They are spawing into something closely representing what you get from putting all these contents in a blender: Gilligan's Island, Sodom and Gomorrah, MTV, Mardi Gras, General Hospital, Wall Street, Cannonball Run (1981, with Dom DeLuise and Burt Reynolds), your local mall, and lots of beer. They're taking everything to the extreme and "Reality Television" is becoming extremely anti-real.

If you want reality, live on the streets with a homeless person for about a month. Track a single mom who has to work three jobs to take care of her kids. Follow around missionaries living in the South American jungles who are living under persecution every day. Video tape one of probably thousands of abandoned and orphaned girls in China who need a loving family to care for them. Capture the life of a seven year old who's wearing themselves out in activities because his parents have unrealistic expectations for him.

I spit in the face of reality TV because what it's show me and the American population is that we can never be satisfied with the life we have. We won't be complete unless we have the perfect-looking mate, the high-paying job, and the lush life. We must cheat, dominate, lie, and deceive in order to get on top.

I think I'll live my quiet life and be satisfied with what God has given me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home