Participate in My Nonsense

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Collaborative Writing Project: Late for Work Excuse

I don't consider myself a writer but I came across an idea that sparked my interest. It's a collaborative writing project that originated from a surrealist technique in which "a collection of words or images are collectively assembled." This technique is called Exquisite Corpse. You can see a large example of this here where they are working on entire collaborative novels on the Internet. While I don't want to invest a lot of time doing the backend programming for such a project, I thought it would be fun and interesting to do on a small scale on this blog. If you're jonesin' to participate on a larger scale, go back here. You can even request to start your own novel/short story on that site.

Here's the deal.

Big picture: We're going to construct a short, collaborative writing project about a topic I describe below.

Instructions: We will start with two sentences, a first and last, which I'll provide. The next commenter will provide a sentence that fits between the two. Then I will post two sentences based on a preset random order in which case the next commenter will supply another sentence that fits in between. This will continue until the project is complete when I will compile the sentences and post the result.

At the beginning, don't worry about tieing the sentences together but try to do so once we get about halfway through (I'll let you know). Please, be creative and keep it relatively clean.

Topic: You're e-mailing your boss to give an excuse why you were late for work.
Length: 20 sentences

First sentence: Mr. Schmedlep, how awkward this must feel to the both of us.
Middle sentence: [ supplied by first commenter ]
Last sentence:
I trust you can understand my predicament and won't hold this against me in light of my yearly review.

8 Comments:

  • I know from past conversations we've shared that your not one to stand on a strict interpretation of policy.

    By Blogger Robert Lukow, at October 25, 2005 9:02 PM  

  • Great one, Lucas! Realize we'll see the same sentences frequently at the beginning but they'll eventually get sparce.

    I know from past conversations we've shared that your not one to stand on a strict interpretation of policy.

    [ new sentence goes here ]

    I trust you can understand my predicament and won't hold this against me in light of my yearly review.

    By Blogger Matt Book, at October 25, 2005 9:08 PM  

  • Schmedlep! Quit your yappin' and getcha butt in here... NOW!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at October 26, 2005 10:30 AM  

  • Mr. Schmedlep, how awkward this must feel to the both of us.

    [ new sentence goes here ]

    Schmedlep! Quit your yappin' and getcha butt in here... NOW!!!

    By Blogger Matt Book, at October 26, 2005 10:35 AM  

  • You walked past my office early this morning and probably thought you heard me say...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at October 27, 2005 9:23 PM  

  • I know from past conversations we've shared that you’re not one to stand on a strict interpretation of policy.

    [ new sentence goes here ]

    I trust you can understand my predicament and won't hold this against me in light of my yearly review.

    By Blogger Matt Book, at October 27, 2005 9:44 PM  

  • I'm going to do what Joe has suggested (comment deleted) and include a sentence from one of the spambots that posted comments to this thread...

    "I was wondering if anyone here had any feedback about it."

    - - - - - - - - - - -

    Mr. Schmedlep, how awkward this must feel to the both of us.

    [ new sentence goes here ]

    You walked past my office early this morning and probably thought you heard me say...

    By Blogger Matt Book, at October 31, 2005 9:28 AM  

  • This project has been relocated to http://www.bookfamily.net/exquisitecorpse/lateforwork/

    By Blogger Matt Book, at November 22, 2005 12:14 AM  



<< Home