Participate in My Nonsense

Tuesday, May 04, 2004

Bookie's Most Outrageous Moments #3

Breaking My Arms
I grew up going to "church camp", a Christian camp for kids from age 9 up through high school. I had gone there at least once a year until I started working there after my sophomore year in high school. My job was washing the dishes but most of my time was spent flirting with the girls that worked in the kitchen and the campers who, incidentally, were only 1-2 years younger than me.

All those working there for the summer arrived on Thursday for orientation. The campers arrived on Monday. On Tuesday evening, five days after I arrived, I was messing around on the basketball court. You see, despite my not-so-tall stature, I can (used to, anyway) jump pretty high. I was dunking and touching the rim. The last time, for some strange reason, I grabbed onto the rim and didn't let go making my body swing high up into the air. My sweaty hand couldn't hold onto the rim and I flew through the air facing up toward the sky. Right before I hit the ground I was able to turn my body over and land face down. Unfortunately, I landed with such force that I broke both of my arms: my left wrist and my right elbow. The camp was on an island in Lake Erie and by this time in the evening the ferry service to the mainland had stopped until morning. I had to wait in agony until the next day to go to the hospital.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home