Participate in My Nonsense

Thursday, December 15, 2005

Don't Hijack My Birthday

I've been considering the politically correct assault on Christmas lately and since a couple of friends have posted about it, I figured I'd get off my butt and post my brief, less eloquent thoughts.

January 3 is my birthday. Those who know my birthday and share in my lack-luster celebration are welcomed to wish me a "Happy Birthday." Those who don't I neither want nor expect anything from them. I don't expect a present, a card, a song, a spanking, or any well-wishing. In fact, I want them to go about their day like any other normal day because the celebration does not belong to them and they are not invited (by reasons of non-association) to celebrate with me.

One thing I don't want them to do is hijack my birthday. Let's say Johnny Matthater discovers January 3 is the day of my birth and says, "Well, Matt's birthday doesn't mean anything to me and many others and I think it's really unfair to exclude so many people on this day. In order for everyone to celebrate this day in a way that's meaningful to all the people of the world let's replace 'Happy Birthday, Matt' with 'A Joyous January Third'."

In a sense, that's what people have done with Christmas, the celebration of the birth of Christ. Society* has taken the celebration of someone's birthday, stripped away the spiritual and redemptive implications, and replaced it with something applicable and non-offensive so everyone can participate.

My recommendation for those who are offended by a heartfelt "Merry Christmas" wish and all that encompasses Christ's birthday: find your own holiday to celebrate. Don't hijack Christmas.

* Excluding the Jews. Jews celebrate Hannukah during this season and they have every right to celebrate according to their Jewish heritage and tradition.

1 Comments:

  • Matt, my birthday is January 8th, so we can hijack the whole week together.

    But let me ask you this ... should you expect the Target clerk to wish you a happy birthday? Should you expect the Target clerk to wish everyone a "Happy Matt's Birthday" on January 3rd? Why should society care about, encourage, endorse, or make easy the spiritual and redemptive aspects of Christmas? Why is that the responsibility of Sears employees? If a business wants to cater to its total customer base - which includes people who do not celebrate the birth of Jesus - what's the big deal if they use a benign phrase like "Happy Holidays"? I just don't see what the big deal is.

    Happy Birthday, by the way.

    By Blogger Robb Ryerse, at December 16, 2005 8:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home