Participate in My Nonsense

Saturday, November 26, 2005

Blogging Thanksgiving

Updated 11/26 @ 12:20 p.m.

12:30 a.m.
- Begin getting settled for bed. I hear my daughter crying so I go in to check on her. She's sitting up in her bed bawling and looking down at the pool of sick that had just projectiled (and violently it appears) from her mouth.
1:15 a.m. - After hosing off my daughter in the shower and cleaning up the mess of hot dog bits and unidentifyable organic material, we retreat to the bedroom knowing it will probably be a long night of poor, interrupted sleep.
3:00-9:00 a.m. - Repeat cycle of waking up, attending to Makenna and her sickness, and going back to bed. Well, Stephanie, that is. For the most part, I slept soundly enjoying the soft hum of my CPAP machine.
9:00-9:30 a.m. - Attempt to squeeze in another minute of sleep while the kids are causing bedlam in the next room. Worry about which of the other three family members will be sick and when. I vote for me because I was the one last night who was sticking my fingers in Makenna's mouth and letting her stick hers into mine. Of course, Steph will feel sick all day because she's the most worried of all of us.
9:30 a.m. - We decide we need to call the family who invited us over for Thanksgiving meal at the last minute, since we were going to be alone as a family, and tell them we would not be joining them. We had been mostly prepared to create an entire meal for ourselves, complete with a 21 pound turkey, except for one integral piece: a roasting pan large enough to fit a 21 pound turkey.
10:00 a.m. - Matt goes to the local grocery store to pick up 5 items: the aforementioned roasting pan, Gatorade (at Steph's request because she's already feeling ill), Cool Whip, pie crust, and the coveted Thanksgiving edition of the local newspaper containing the agenda for tomorrow's masochistic, pre-dawn ritual. Local grocery store out of newspaper and roasting pans.
10:10 a.m. - Bolt over to Sheetz to secure said newspaper lest the wife banish me to the snowy outdoors if I return empty-handed. Purchase last newspaper and receive dirty scouls from other customers. Leave Sheetz before mob forms.
10:20 a.m. - Arrive at Wal-Bub's Super-MegaPlex to purchase a $1 roasting pan. Endure condescending looks and snide comment from the cashier for purchasing a roasting pan on Thanksgiving Day.
10:45 a.m. - Return home and begin helping Steph with the Thanksgiving Feast...
  • clean turkey (did I mention it was 21 pounds?)
  • slice onion for homemade stuffing because Steph is a wuss
  • cut up many pounds of potatoes
  • peel cooked yams for Stephanie's scrumptious candied yam recipe
2:00 p.m. - Chill with the kids. Play games. Wrestle. Tickle. Wait for 21 pound turkey to cook.
7:00 p.m. - Finally pulled turkey out of the oven after 8 hours of cooking and got the rest of the fixin's set (mashed potatoes, candied yams, gravy, etc). Stephanie still feels sick.
7:36 p.m. - Sat down to eat our Thanksgiving feast. Steph was nervous to eat because of the thought of tasting it again on its way out. Ryan, to my surprise, tried almost everything except for the homemade stuffing. The one thing besides the green beans and turkey he liked was the mashed potatoes. Understand this: from the first day Ryan tried mashed potatoes out of a jar as a baby he couldn't stand them. He's never wanted to have anything to do with cooked, baked, or mashed potatoes. We'll put them in soup and he knows right away what it is when he tastes it. His face grimaces and the potato piece exits his mouth at a rapid pace. So, for our almost-eight-year-old to start liking potatoes is a break-through for us.
8:30 p.m. - Dig in to the pumpkin pie made from my mom's recipe. I would consider myself to be a pumpkin pie connoisseur because it's my absolute favorite kind of pie and my mom is a culinary genious when it comes to making one from scratch. I'm sort of a snob when it comes to pumpkin pies because I'll only tolerate fresh pumpkin; canned pumpkin won't suffice. In fact, I can detect it like a drug-sniffing canine and I won't eat it. Steph did a wonderful job making this one and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
9:30 p.m. - After putting the kids to bed, we cut most of the meat off the turkey and began to boil the carcass to make soup. We had to use the large pressure cooker for canning because it was so big. Steph admitted she was feeling better and said that she probably felt sick because she was hungry.
10:00 p.m. - Chilled out on the couch watching programs we had recorded with TIVO. Steph looked at the ads to figure out where she wanted to shop in the morning. What a psycho. Went to bed.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home