Participate in My Nonsense

Friday, August 04, 2006

Retail Idiocy

I went to the Dollar Tree to return a picture frame we purchased the day before that was broken. The sixteen-year-old retail novice informed me that they only exchange for an equally-priced item instead of giving cash back (apparently to ensure the rising profits of this thriving company). I picked out three items that I was planning on buying and took them to the same girl at the checkout counter. I laid them down and reminded her that I had an exchange.

"Which item do you want to exchange it for?" she asked.

I glanced down at the counter between us and looked back at her curiously. "What do you mean?"

"You have to pick an item you want to exchange it for."

Contemplating the fact that I was in the Dollar Tree I asked, "Aren't they all a dollar?"

"Yes," she replied, "but you have to pick one."

"Why do I have to pick one if they're all the same price?"

"Because you have to."

"Does it matter?"

Playfully and entusiastically, almost cheerleader-esque, she asked, "Well, which one do you want for free?"

"I don't care."

She picked up one of the $1-priced items. "This one?"

"Sure." I gave her $2.12 and left.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home