Participate in My Nonsense

Wednesday, July 02, 2003

Thank You, Song-Writers

I'm really thankful for music. Yeah, that's a pretty simple, lame statement but sometimes the most meaningful sentiments are expressed in simple ways. Ironically, I had to shut my music off so I could think clearly to continue writing.

I'm sitting here listening to "Further" by Pillar soaking it all in… the lyrics, the mood, the music, the reality. I love the feel of a song and, being a musician, I get into the music a lot and listen to it very intently. When I'm listening to the music of a song, I study it and try to grab hold of what it's doing and where it's going: the mood, the tempo, the movement, the dynamics, the instruments.

What prompted me to write today is not the music I was listening to but the lyrics of the song and how I identified with the song. Another thing I like about music is the beautiful way someone can express a simple thought. These are the same thoughts I have but expressed in a way that only my heart and emotions understand… thoughts that are hard for me to communicate in words.

So, if you're a song-writer - a good song-writer - thanks for helping me understand the things I don't know how to put into words.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home