Participate in My Nonsense

Thursday, September 22, 2005

Self Improvement 101

A person's life is a complex, multi-dimensional, nebulous mass of metaphysical goo.

I've decided, after noticing a self-inflicted hand-shaped mark on my forehead almost as permanent as the tattoo on my arm, that I have too many unpleasant quirks and deficiencies (I'm not talking about vitamin deficiencies, although I probably have those as well). Everybody has them. I should know because I'm a master at noticing others' faults... that's one of my mine. If you don't know what yours are and I haven't told you yet, just ask because I probably have a mental list.

Now, this didn't come to me as an epiphany one evening on the toilet or through a message contained in the visual configuration of my breakfast cereal but something I've been become more aware of over time. It's not unlike routinely opening your refrigerator and discovering what's inside. You see last month's foil-covered chicken pot pie transforming into a mossy, colorful, inedible treat but you put off throwing it away because either you're too lazy or garbage day isn't until six days from now. My soul, body, and spirit feel like a half-neglected icebox stocked with a steady supply of fresh food and month-old, moldy casseroles.

While I don't think there are any magical formulas to improving one's character I do think it takes a combination of realization, persistence, failure, God's help, and a whollotta other things to achieve a greater level of mental equilibrium, physical health, and personal holiness. My method thus far has been similar to attempting to win the lottery without buying a lottery ticket... great ambition with little or no effort. However, lately I have been giving a little more effort and I've been seeing some progress.

In my quest to find an aid that would help me in the day-to-day, I remembered something I briefly studied in high school: Ben Franklin's 13 Virtues. Partially motivated by Philippians 4:8, Franklin developed a method for regulating his future conduct. He came up with a list of thirteen virtues and kept track of his progress in each discipline daily while honing in on one specific virtue per week.

1. Temperance: Eat not to dullness and drink not to elevation.
2. Silence: Speak not but what may benefit others or yourself. Avoid trifling conversation.
3. Order: Let all your things have their places. Let each part of your business have its time.
4. Resolution: Resolve to perform what you ought. Perform without fail what you resolve.
5. Frugality: Make no expense but to do good to others or yourself: i.e. Waste nothing.
6. Industry: Lose no time. Be always employed in something useful. Cut off all unnecessary actions.
7. Sincerity: Use no hurtful deceit. Think innocently and justly; and, if you speak, speak accordingly.
8. Justice: Wrong none, by doing injuries or omitting the benefits that are your duty.
9. Moderation: Avoid extremes. Forebear resenting injuries so much as you think they deserve.
10. Cleanliness: Tolerate no uncleanness in body, clothes or habitation.
11. Chastity: Rarely use venery but for health or offspring; Never to dullness, weakness, or the injury of your own or another's peace or reputation.
12. Tranquility: Be not disturbed at trifles, or at accidents common or unavoidable.
13. Humility: Imitate Jesus and Socrates.

As I look at this list of qualities I see several words that don't often pass over my lips. Even though Benny F. provided a short description with each virtue, I consulted a dictionary for a couple of them. This list of virtues was compiled over 200 years ago so I'll be taking that into account. I mean, c'mon, what's this "rarely use venery" about? And this "cut off all unnecessary action" is a bit overboard. Seriously, though, I could be using my time a little more intentionally for better things but I don't plan on cancelling my DirecTV or throwing away my xbox games.

My plan is to heighten my awareness of these areas in my life each day instead of performing a radical transformation I can't possibly sustain. My plan is also for focused prayer, reading, introspection, evaluation, and correction a little bit at a time.

Now, I guess I'm on to temperance. I guess I won't be downing a monster bowl of buttery popcorn and chasing that with moutainous scoops of ice cream. Maybe a small bowl.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home