Participate in My Nonsense

Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Selfishness Exposed!!!

I don't think I've seen so many acts of selfishness as I have seen in the last few weeks. It shouldn't surprise me since it was pride and selfishness that brought sin into existence and Paul warned Timothy that in the last days people will be lovers of themselves and proud (2 Timothy 3:1-5).

You see selfishness on a small scale everyday and we almost expect that from people. My children are often very selfish but the extent of their actions and attitudes is not that far reaching. The world doesn't crumble because my daughter ripped a toy out of my son's hand. We don't see a counselor because I want to rent this movie and my wife wants to see another.

What I've been seeing lately is some major stuff that seriously impacts the welfare and future of a lot of people. It's one thing to make a choice that inconveniences a couple people for a short period of time but to make a deliberate decision to negatively alter the course of another person's life as a result of a selfish act is repulsive. Where is love in these situations? I'll tell you where it is... it's a very present and obvious love in which the object is self. It's egocentric, greedy, and self-serving.

It's not only love directed at self but it's also hate directed toward others. They may not verbally acknowledge hatred but their actions shout it loud and clear screaming, "I choose myself over you!"
Honor one another above yourselves. Romans 12:10

Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others. Philippians 2:3-4

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home